The Bookkeepers.Network (BKN)

Post Info TOPIC: Deregister for VAT


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 658
Date:
Deregister for VAT


Hi all

I have just done a voluntary de-registration for a client online because their turnover over the next 12 months will be under the threshold due to the loss of a major contract, does anyone have any idea how long it takes HMRC to confirm if this has been successful?

Cheers



-- Edited by Artois on Wednesday 19th of September 2018 04:08:56 PM

__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7201
Date:

Hi Doug
Your avatar is making me hungry!

Its a while since I did a de-reg. If I recall correctly it was about 3-4 weeks before they got something back from HMRC. Memory is going though so worth seeing what others have to say.

__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Forum Moderator & Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 11580
Date:

Cheshire wrote:


Your avatar is making me hungry!

Pot-Kettle!!!!

Its a while since I did a de-reg. If I recall correctly it was about 3-4 weeks before they got something back from HMRC. Memory is going though so worth seeing what others have to say.

Think that we may be seeing a lot more of it with the advent of MTD. To date though I've actually never deregistered one. It's all been the other way hmm (Sorry Doug)




__________________

Shaun

Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 658
Date:

Thanks both, it was just that he had a job to price so was hoping that it would be confirmed pretty quick because as far as I am aware VAT still needs to be accounted for until de-registration has been agreed which would mean including it in his price.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date:

Hi Doug
I de-registered a client on the 4th Feb, got an email on 6th Feb saying cancelled from close of business on 4 Feb! I was staggered how quick it all happened. Last VAT return had to be done by 6th March so he was a very happy cookie :)

__________________

Janet

They keep making the system idiot proof but then make bigger and better idiots!



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 658
Date:

Hi Janet

Thanks, that would be ideal if this is the same timescale (as you say very quick for HMRC)

Cheers



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7201
Date:

Yoh Janet!!!!!!!!! Missing you on here. You need to pop in more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Doug - the one I did had an advanced date on it. In fact Ive just remembered I did another one, more recently. But cannot for the life of me recall getting an acknowledgement. Hey I know - that doesnt help neither! Might be worth them checking their online account - might show the dereg date on their fairly rapidly. No idea if it would show on an agents list. Let us know!

__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7201
Date:

Shamus wrote:
Cheshire wrote:


Your avatar is making me hungry!

Pot-Kettle!!!!




Thing is though, I cannot see my own avatar when Im posting!! Now Im bloody starving though!!!!!winkbiggrin



__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date:

Cheshire wrote:

Yoh Janet!!!!!!!!! Missing you on here. You need to pop in more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Glad someone's missing meconfuse

I do try to look at things to make sure you are all behaving...badlybiggrin



__________________

Janet

They keep making the system idiot proof but then make bigger and better idiots!



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 658
Date:

Just an update, I did get an email today from HMRC saying they have received the request and are dealing with it and will contact me within 14 days which is good to hear.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7201
Date:

Well it's a darn site quicker than their usual turnarounds, so here's hoping.

Is the gin shop your new home Janet? After dealing with the brain battering new job?!


__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Date:

Cheshire wrote:


Is the gin shop your new home Janet? After dealing with the brain battering new job?!


Sussed!!Gin is a very comforting food and I get plenty fruit with itbiggrin



__________________

Janet

They keep making the system idiot proof but then make bigger and better idiots!



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 2670
Date:

Ok so its not gin but I tried Polish beer for the first time last night. 7.6% and it was very nice.



__________________

John

Any advice given is for general guidance and professional advice should be sought applicable to your circumstances.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 658
Date:

Didn't all go as smoothly as it did for Janet, after the initial email from HMRC the next day saying they would be in touch within 14 days I heard nothing.

The 14 days were up so had to phone the VAT phoneline and after 20 minutes on hold spoke to a very helpful lady who told me the application was still waiting to be confirmed so she popped me on hold and got it confirmed there and then and I received the email as proof of de-registration within the hour, very impressive.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 2670
Date:

Haha we've all changed our avatar's and Joanne says your avatar is making her hungry and Shaun says same to Joanne (good job there's some cake in that picture otherwise we'd think Shaun was the big bad wolf!)



__________________

John

Any advice given is for general guidance and professional advice should be sought applicable to your circumstances.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  

2018 The Bookkeepers Network (BKN). All Rights Reserved. The Bookkeepers Network (BKN) is a trading division of Bookcert Ltd. Registered in England Company Number 05782923. 2 Laurel House, 1 Station Rd, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 6AR, United Kingdom. The Bookkeepers Network and BKN are trademarks of Bookcert Ltd. This forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any posting on this site is accepted by the contributors or The Bookkeepers Network. In all cases, appropriate professional advice should be sought before making a decision. We reserve the right to remove any postings which are offensive, libellous, self-promoting or engaged in covert marketing. We will not notify users of removals. The views expressed in the forum posts are those of the individual and do not necessary reflect or agree with those of The Bookkeepers Network. Any offensive or unsuitable posts will be removed by the moderators. Any reader of this forum can request for a post to be looked into by sending an email to: info@bookkeepers.network or info@bookcert.co.uk.

Privacy & Cookie Policy