The Bookkeepers.Network (BKN)

Post Info TOPIC: Motoring Expenses


Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Motoring Expenses

Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm run my own HR Ltd company and claim the £0.45 pence per mile fuel claim. What I need to know is are things like motor insurance and MOTs claimable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7102

No. Yes. Maybe.

This is a forum for accounting professionals, not for business owners.

Get an Accountant for a fuller and potentially more appropriate answer for your circumstances, of which we know nothing.

-- Edited by Cheshire on Friday 4th of May 2018 02:02:52 PM




Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.


Forum Moderator & Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 11568

Hi Clive,

no. the 45p per mile (first 10k) is total compensation from the business for use of your car it is not a payment purely for the fuel. The mileage rate includes everything except parking fees and toll charges.

That you assumed that it was for fuel reinforces Joannes reply above as to why everyone needs to have an accountant as it's very easy to assume something which is incorrect. That said, it's doubtful that you would have asked the accountant something that small and it will just be something that they would have picked up at the period end so better nipping it in the bud wit a quick question on a forum. However, as explained by Joanne the forum isn't really geared towards business owners and things said here should not be construed as advice as we are seldom in posession of all of the facts in relation to the scenario.

In the situation here the accountant would possibly look at your use of the car and advise on wheter it would be better financially to claim mileage or run the car thought the business. They would of course take into account age of car, mileage, emmissions, etc. There are also different rules for vans than cars (and not everything thats called a van looks like a van).

Can youi see why the stock answer here is generally talk to an accountant?

hope that helps and good luck with the business,

kindest regards,




Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to
Members Login
    Remember Me  

©2018 The Bookkeepers Network (BKN). All Rights Reserved. The Bookkeepers Network (BKN) is a trading division of Bookcert Ltd. Registered in England Company Number 05782923. 2 Laurel House, 1 Station Rd, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 6AR, United Kingdom. The Bookkeepers Network and BKN are trademarks of Bookcert Ltd. This forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any posting on this site is accepted by the contributors or The Bookkeepers Network. In all cases, appropriate professional advice should be sought before making a decision. We reserve the right to remove any postings which are offensive, libellous, self-promoting or engaged in covert marketing. We will not notify users of removals. The views expressed in the forum posts are those of the individual and do not necessary reflect or agree with those of The Bookkeepers Network. Any offensive or unsuitable posts will be removed by the moderators. Any reader of this forum can request for a post to be looked into by sending an email to: or

Privacy & Cookie Policy