The Bookkeepers.Network (BKN)

Post Info TOPIC: Quickbooks Online wholesale billing contract


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 473
Date:
Quickbooks Online wholesale billing contract


Hello, I have recently started using QuickBooks Online and Xero. I want to use the wholesale billing option where I buy QB and then bill the client for it. Does anyone on here do that? If so did you give the client a contract about it ie when they have to pay you, notice period, t&c (maybe linked to the QBt&Cs),maybe what happens if QB is hacked etc. If anyone is willing to share wording that would be great.



__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1642
Date:

I can't actually answer your question (sorry!) because I won't go down that route - while I use Xero, it's because the client themselves wants to use Xero; they pay for it directly.

But you do raise an interesting issue: In the scenario you're looking at, the contract for the cloudy software is between you and your client.

As I said, I have no answer, but consider this a 'bump' for this thread. I'd be interested in hearing people's views.

__________________

Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software

(I only came here looking for fellow apiarists...)



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 473
Date:

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be any take up though! We have got quite a few clients on QuickBooks Online now and are able to make a little bit of money out of it due to the discount QuickBooks give us. we haven't as yet given any of them a contract but I want to give them something which will direct them to QuickBooks for any issues and which says we are only responsible for the billing side.

__________________


Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7206
Date:

Princess wrote:

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be any take up though! We have got quite a few clients on QuickBooks Online now and are able to make a little bit of money out of it due to the discount QuickBooks give us. we haven't as yet given any of them a contract but I want to give them something which will direct them to QuickBooks for any issues and which says we are only responsible for the billing side.


Is there a chance that they consider that the contract is with you though given nothing is in writing at the time of purchase and the purchase was via you? Or was it discussed verbally. Horse bolted and all that.



__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 473
Date:

yes potentially. but for future clients... and I will issue something to the existing ones just to clarify. i can't be the only one in this situation though, isn't anyone else doing wholesale billing on QuickBooks or Xero?

__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1642
Date:

Thinking about it, doesn't Mark do this with Xero? Where's he these days?

__________________

Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software

(I only came here looking for fellow apiarists...)



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7206
Date:

Princess wrote:

yes potentially. but for future clients... and I will issue something to the existing ones just to clarify. i can't be the only one in this situation though, isn't anyone else doing wholesale billing on QuickBooks or Xero?


No you are definately not the only one.

Problem is that the few who answer questions on this website do not use online software such as QB or zeero smeero.

Those who do use such software and use the forum are the ones who only ever read and never participate OR those who come on just to post their own questions and never read the Q&As posted by others.

As Vince pointed out - Mark is one who does use it and will come on at some point and respond, but you may have to wait a while as he isnt on here daily and its mid chatoic month.

Only other issue then is somebody being happy to share wording that they may have paid a solicitor to draft up for them.

Oh and just thought of another - how would they share it with you.

I would suggest for newbie clients you include a section on this in your standard engagement letter - who drew this up for you, out of interest? Just wondering if they would have some 'standard' ish type of wording that will slot into your existing LoE that will not impact on other clauses/require a partial re-write?

For existing ones - sort of the same same process as when they take on a new service, but managing the changes- so a standalone LoE. Although ethically this will pose a dilema as you are effectively relying on them not really reading/understanding the change of contract that they will be signing, albeit the original agreement was verbal (but clearly a contract nonetheless)



__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 473
Date:

I know. I'm guilty of not always being on here. I use the AAT letter of engagement at the moment but I'm looking at changing it as it's very wordy and no one reads it. I've been looking at letters from a few other accountants locally and have seen a few I like. I have only recently started using Qucikbooks Online and to a lesser extent Xero but surely they are going to get more "popular" or more frequently used anyway as MTD approaches. I think I will ask someone to draw something up for me. I wasn't expecting any freebies from anyone that's paid, more hoping that somewhere out there someone eg Xero had done a template. I have asked the account manager but they also didn't seem to have had anyone ask about it.

__________________



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7206
Date:

Princess wrote:

but surely they are going to get more "popular" or more frequently used anyway as MTD approaches.


A popular misconception, pushed by the cloudy software providers.

MTD doesnt mean cloudy, nor does digital.

Its all hype!



__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 7206
Date:

Princess wrote:

I know. I'm guilty of not always being on here. I use the AAT letter of engagement at the moment but I'm looking at changing it as it's very wordy and no one reads it. I've been looking at letters from a few other accountants locally and have seen a few I like. I have only recently started using Qucikbooks Online and to a lesser extent Xero but surely they are going to get more "popular" or more frequently used anyway as MTD approaches. I think I will ask someone to draw something up for me. I wasn't expecting any freebies from anyone that's paid, more hoping that somewhere out there someone eg Xero had done a template. I have asked the account manager but they also didn't seem to have had anyone ask about it.


Just a word of caution about using wording from others is that sometimes they have cobbled it together from soemwhere else and then they do not give you the protection you need as there is no cross linking of the sections or even paragraphs under the basis of law and therefore will fall apart in the event of a court case (for that I mean ripped apart by counsel!)

Ive seen the ICAEW/ACCA letters and believe me the AAT one is extremely weak in comparison so I wouldnt aim to weaken it any further. I would ensure any cover letter states they need to read it thoroughly and get legal advice for anything they are unclear about and that its a legally binding contract. Its then up to them if they dont bother (numpties!)

Im surprised the AAT cannot help - have you tried phoning their helpline. If you continue to use their existing wording their legal eagles might be able to add something.

Its worth a wait and see on Mark. Certainly if he is happy to share he will need to be able to get hold of you. But a suggestion - change your Profile to allow PM's.



__________________

Joanne

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  

2018 The Bookkeepers Network (BKN). All Rights Reserved. The Bookkeepers Network (BKN) is a trading division of Bookcert Ltd. Registered in England Company Number 05782923. 2 Laurel House, 1 Station Rd, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 6AR, United Kingdom. The Bookkeepers Network and BKN are trademarks of Bookcert Ltd. This forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any posting on this site is accepted by the contributors or The Bookkeepers Network. In all cases, appropriate professional advice should be sought before making a decision. We reserve the right to remove any postings which are offensive, libellous, self-promoting or engaged in covert marketing. We will not notify users of removals. The views expressed in the forum posts are those of the individual and do not necessary reflect or agree with those of The Bookkeepers Network. Any offensive or unsuitable posts will be removed by the moderators. Any reader of this forum can request for a post to be looked into by sending an email to: info@bookkeepers.network or info@bookcert.co.uk.

Privacy & Cookie Policy